January 30, 2107
Good Hit Goes to World Resort Bimini Wahoo Tournament

We spent five days in Bimini for the Wahoo Tournament fishing aboard the Bookends with the Good Hit Crew, Captain Cody, Captain Mike, Captain Andrew and Louie. We left Fort Lauderdale around 7:00 a.m. out of Las Olas Marina aboard the Bookends, a 53 foot Hydra Sport with Quad 627s on the back, head for Bimini. We learned on our trip over that this boat could accurately be described as having a great deal of speed when we left Port Everglades at exactly 7:22 a.m. and we arrived in Bimini at 8:30 a.m. Even with choppy sea conditions we managed to push through in little more than an hour . Here is a picture of the Bookends tied to  the dock upon our initial arrival:

We secured the boat and quickly unloaded our bags and supplies at our hotel room, and headed back out in the water to focus on spending time pre-fishing. We wanted to practice working the boat and equipment with the crew, and check out the water and any weather conditions. Our goal was to be optimally prepared for maneuvering the Bookends and catching Wahoo during the upcoming tournament. For this tournament we were high speed Wahoo trolling – dragging 80 wide reels, two with wire, two with braid, and one with mono. This fishing technique places all of our lures at different depths in the water column, some just on the surface and others from 15 to 25 feet down.

Back aboard, we untied the lines and quickly steered toward the Wahoo grounds, 25 miles north of Bimini. As our morning trip from the port had proved,  the Bookends does not take a great deal of time to get to its destination, within 20 minutes we had arrived and were deploying the lines. After getting the five lures spread into the water, we banked our first turn inshore, but before we could straighten out, BAM, we were hooked up on a double-header Wahoo. The fish hit the two closest lures to the boat, which is always a good sight when Wahoo fishing. Then we quickly slid the two Wahoo  into the boat and snapped a few of these photos.

These were the only two Wahoo we caught on our pre-fishing day. We called the trip shortly after and we headed back towards home base. As the week went on, the fishing began to slow down and during the actual tournament, some boats did  not catch any Wahoos at high speed fishing. To make our long story short, we ended up in Fourth Place for the tournament, weighing only four fish. We caught three fish on the first day, one on the second, and on the third day we didn’t even get a bite. We were close to the Leader Board, but not close enough. Below is a link to a short video that sums up our experience of a week of Wahoo fishing.

Good Hit in the Bahamas: